Gardeners Beware 2014 Report
(download and read the report - PDF)
See the Gardeners Beware 2014 video from Friends of The Earth below...(Beyond Toxics was a participant in gathering plant samples)
Also, read Lisa Arkin's latest blog, "Heartbreaking Day for Bees in Eugene during National Pollinator Week"
What you can do to support the campaign:
- Ask garden retailers in your community to stop selling neonicotinoids and plants pre-treated with the pesticides.
- Practice bee-friendly gardening and create a pollinator-friendly habitat. (See "Cultivating Bee-Friendly Gardens" for details)
- Learn what products to avoid to keep bees safe from harmful pesticides (also: Read the 2014 Gardeners Beware report)
- Contact your member of Congress and encourage them to support the Save America's Pollinator's Act. AND...sign the online petition to Tell Congress: Stop the pesticide that is killing bees!
- Now you can show your support by signing our pledge to become a friend of Save Oregon's Bees...(see who has already pledged!)
- Donate to Beyond Toxics or become a member TODAY!
AS PART OF OUR FEBRUARY 2014 EUGENE BEE SWARM, we're encouraging people to contact Home Depot and Lowe's to demand that they remove products containing neonicotinoids from their store shelves...
MAIL IN YOUR cards and letters directly:
1) Frank Blake, CEO, Home Depot
2455 Paces Ferry Road | Atlanta, GA 30339
2) Robert A. Niblock, CEO, Lowe’s
1000 Lowe’s Blvd. | Mooresville, NC 28117
Best call in numbers:
Home Depot: 1-800-466-3337
Other pre-written letters you can use to print out and send in to both Home Depot and Lowe's (provided by Friends of The Earth)
Other actions you can take TODAY...
1) Sign the online petition to demand that Home Depot and Lowe's STOP selling bee-killing pesticides to unsuspecting consumers.
2) Read Gardeners Beware, a NEW report by Friends of The Earth revealing bee-killing pesticides hiding in supposedly “bee-friendly” garden plants in America's major retailers.
3) Show your support by signing our pledge and become a friend of Save Oregon's Bees...
3) Call on Oregon businesses to stop using dinotefuran and other neonicotinoid insecticides that we know are lethal to our bees. We know Oregon's businesses can do better, and we're asking them to start using safer alternatives. | Sponsored by Oregon League of Conservation Voters
4) In Congress, a great deal of interest and support has been generated around a bill introduced by Oregon's Rep. Earl Blumenauer. Demand that the U.S.Congress act now to pass Rep. Blumenauer's "Save America's Pollinators Act" (H.R. 2692). | Read more about the Save America's Pollinators Act.
5) Pesticide Action Network petition: Tell EPA’s leader: Step up & protect bees!
Sign the pledge below and donate $10 or more to become a friend of Save Oregon's Bees! (See the list of names of those who have signed the pledge!)
In the interest of protecting our neighboring families, pets, honeybees and gardens, we the undersigned residents pledge to refrain from using pesticides and any other harmful chemicals (Weed and Feed, Round Up etc.) on our property. We request that our City and County partner with us to commit to pesticide-free policies to protect bees and children from pesticides on all public property.
Please help us save Oregon’s bees! Become a member of Beyond Toxics TODAY!
After you click on the green button (below), simply choose “Save Oregon's Bees” from the “I want my donation to be designated toward” drop-down option. We need and very much appreciate your support for this project!
- Recommended resources
- Background: The threat to bees
- Read about Cultivating Bee-Friendly Gardens
- Read about Consumer Products to Avoid
- Take action to help Save Oregon’s Bees!
- Beyond Toxics blogs about the decline of bees and the dangers of neonicotinoids
- What are neonicotinoid pesticides?
- Read about the economics of saving bees: Bees by the numbers
- Gardeners Beware 2014 Report
- Read about Eugene, Oregon's ban on neonicotinoid pesticides, the first of it’s kind in the nation
- Save Oregon's Bees Home Page
- Join Beyond Toxics
- Contact us
Beyond Toxics is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and all contributions are fully tax-deductible. Please consider giving a gift of a Beyond Toxics membership to a friend or family member!
Bee Pledge names:
|Zoe CohenDeborah StrochlicThelma SoderquistJill DavidsonAnn KneelandMaria SantosChristina AllanGwyneth IredaleLindsay EarthsongRene KaneMirranda WilletteCJ BlaneySusanne GiordanoMarsha BarrSuzanne GascoyneMadeline SmithTricia Clark-McDowellDiana AbernatheyDee TvedtChristine Zeller-PowellLorraine Kerwood
Rodolfo De Oliveira
Rusty and Annie Olsen
Gary and Kimie Paulson
John and Michelle Fletcher
Mark Van Ryzin
Oregon Sustainable Beekeepers
G. Keith Walker
|Tammy GoughnourPaula ThibaudeauPhelena CramerAutumn BussSummer BrownGena KennedyElizabeth GraingerSteph LawsonReva BishopCatherine FresiaSusan HarlanApril LovejoyStephanie HumanicLori BonicelliPhil WarnerSiri MichelVanessa KennedyJane FoxgloveJan FryerLaura JabriJacqueline BoissonneauMelissa Newman
Jenn and Dave Disciascio
Bill Gilbert/ Paula Naas