UPDATE: Governor Kotek has signed a crucial group of climate bills and is now the law!
SB 530, Natural Climate Solutions, was signed into law as part of a larger package of climate solution legislation: the “Climate Resilience Package” (HB 3409 & HB 3630)! This comprehensive package brings together and provides $90 million in funding for more than a dozen priority bills related to climate action. SB 530 is one of the many important bills that made it into this Climate Package.
Teryn Yazdani, Staff Attorney and Climate Policy Manager, says, "This is a great win for the climate and for Oregon’s natural and working lands, as well as the communities that rely upon them! The ability for Oregon to now leverage tens of millions of dollars in federal funding for climate-smart land management practices to better sequester carbon and increase resilience is monumental."
TALKING POINTS of HB 3409 and HB 3630:
* The policies and programs included in this package were strategically crafted to leverage unprecedented federal funding for climate and clean energy.
* By investing roughly $100 million in crucial climate action and community resilience, the Climate Resilience Package will enable the state to leverage at least 10 times that in federal funding.
* The bipartisan Climate Resilience Package, HB 3409 and HB 3630, will provide essential public services to:
What will the Natural Climate Solutions bill (SB 530) actually do?
Read the 2-page overview of the bill:
Oregon’s Untapped Climate Solution: Support SB 530 (PDF)
What are natural climate solutions?
Activities that protect or enhance the ability of natural and working lands to sequester and store carbon or reduce greenhouse gas emissions while maintaining or increasing climate resilience, water quality and quantity, human well-being, and biodiversity.
Examples of natural climate solutions include:
Why should Oregon support natural climate solutions?
These practices offer simple, proven solutions for both reducing the future impacts of climate change and confronting the impacts communities and land managers are already contending with, including drought, heatwaves, flooding, and wildfire.
This legislative session, Beyond Toxics is a part of a coalition advocating for passage of SB 530. SB 530 supports the viability of Oregon’s forest owners, farmers, and ranchers by investing in natural climate solutions (NCS).
Benefits of supporting natural climate solutions on Oregon’s natural and working lands
*To see how your legislator voted on the climate resilience package:
1) visit this page
2) scroll down to the date of the final action: 6-24(S) and 6-24(H) the vote in the Senate is the "S" and the vote in the House is the "H"
3) press the blue plus button to reveal the voting history for each chamber.